Thursday, January 17, 2013

Mike Ellis Announces Reelection Bid for ANA Board of Governors


Mike Ellis of Camilla, Georgia recently announced his intention to run for reelection to a seat on the ANA Board of Governors. He is currently serving his first term on the existing Board of Governors and in announcing his intention to run Ellis says, “We need a hard working, diligent, communicative board whose members exude enthusiasm for our community while further improving the association and I am one of those people!

Unfortunately, the ANA has been plagued by lawsuits, primarily from ex executive directors, for far too many years of late. I need not tell you how detrimental this is to the numismatic community. Not only does this cost way too much money it greatly reduces the time spent on productive projects for the hobbyist. This must stop. The solution? Largely to quit putting executives and attorneys in positions to create frivolous lawsuits. I believe a kind, fair and hard working Executive Director and no attorney on a costly retainer as general counsel is the most ideal position to be in.

We must, I say must, get back to full concentration of our mission to educate!

Additionally, it seems there is always ongoing discussion regarding show dates. For quite a few years now many large coin shows have become ghost towns by Saturday afternoon. This should be the day that entertains the majority of the public and when it is so empty feeling on Saturday afternoon it breaks my heart. No amount of discussion will ever change my mind. I believe dealers must be made to stay all day on Saturday. How do we make this happen? I really do not know but I highly recommend we try running shows where Saturday falls in the middle of the show!

I am a longtime servant and life member of the ANA because I believe in the mission and love the people. I have been a member of the ANA for 31 years and an instructor at ANA Summer Seminars since 1996 work exceedingly well with the staff. As a result of my efforts I have received the Glenn Smedley Memorial Award, a President’s Award from past President Clifford Mishler, the Murray G. Singer Outstanding Hobby Mentor Award from Anthony Swiatek while he was President and one of the first group of six members to receive the National Coordinators Award for Numismatic Excellence in 1998 from Walter Ostromecki.

I served 14 years and counting as a board member and officer of CONECA, 8 as President and 4 as Vice-President. During this time I led CONECA from a little known specialty club to a well known, highly respected national organization that leads the numismatic community in error and variety research and education. I have just now started my third term as Vice-President. As a result of my efforts on behalf of error
collectors everywhere, I have received every award CONECA has including induction into their Hall of Fame in 2009.

I am a frequent contributor to and have been the editor of numismatic publications of all kinds and teaching numismatics is one of my favorite things to do!

I continue to write numismatic articles and do tons of volunteer work for the numismatic community. Most everything I do for you is my honor and my privilege. Thank you for having the confidence in me to go to bat for you. After all, it is a hobby for most of us and I like to keep it fun for everyone!”

No comments:

Post a Comment